Thursday, December 31, 2015

DIY McCalls Pattern 7020

Hey Ladies,

I hope all is well and eve
ryone had a wonderful Christmas and an even better coming New Year! I've been meaning to sew McCalls 7020 view E tunic for a while and finally I was able to do so. What I've done is given you 3 looks; a work attire, date night with the hubby and a night out with the girls! 

The pattern was very easy and if you're new to sewing and need help, MiMi G Style has a free tutorial on Michael Levine’s Blog so check it out here. I didn't need the instructions however I did read them. Rule of thumb, never sew without first reviewing the instructions, I don't care how good of a sewer you are. It’s a good habit to have and practice.  Although I didn’t need Mimi G’s tutorial I did view it to see what fashionable touches she added.  As always she delivers!  What I liked about Mimi G’s free tutorial was how she extended the collar, which gives you the option to wear it as a hood or simply as a cowl neck.

I also added my own fashionable touch by making the sleeves longer with thumb cutouts. I thought this really added a little pizzazz to the tunic turned dress that I absolutely love and the adjustments were super easy. If you would like information on how I did this simply comment below and I'll get that information to you.

I used a charcoal color double knit from Joann's and I added 3 inches to make it longer to wear as a dress. Let me just say this thang is SHORT! So if you're conscience on things being too short then I don't recommend this tunic to wear as a dress or I recommend you make it longer. I plan on making it again with adding maybe a total of 5 inches next time around. I love the loose fit that the medium gave me. I wore Jessica Simpson chunky heel booties, a Dooney and Burke purse, added a belt and a pair of tan tights to complete the look. A very simple look yet fashionable.

You know this is a complete afterthought but throw on a pair of Chuck's "high tops of course", a jean jacket and now you're ready for a date night with your kids without looking old like my kids tell me! "Ma, don't look so old fashion" what the hell!

I'll See You Next Year!









6 comments:

  1. Looking good sis. I would love the instructions for how you do the thumb cutouts. I love that in my shirts now. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good sis. I would love the instructions for how you do the thumb cutouts. I love that in my shirts now. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Corynne and thank you! I'm working on the instructions and will get them posted here shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corynne,

    Here are the instructions for the thumb cutouts.

    First: Measure from your wrist down to you knuckles, this is how long you want to extend your sleeves on your garment.

    Second: Sew your sleeve down leaving 4 inches unsewn.

    Third: Measure down two inches from where you stop sewing your sleeve and make a mark.

    Forth: From that mark sew down the remaining two inches, this will leave you an opening for your thumb.

    Continue with folding up the hem of your sleeve to the opening and sew the hem in place. At the opening, fold in the hem of the opening and topstitch and your all done. Make sure you pin and send me a pic of your finished garment, I would love to see it!

    If you need more information please let me know.

    ReplyDelete